GJEPC Proposing Group Health Insurance for Employees of Member Firms

The Gem & Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC) is to launch an important Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative on March 1 – a Group Health Insurance Scheme under which member companies can enroll their employees and employees’ families at competitive rates.

The aim is to cover 50,000 employees within this financial year (April 1-March 31) and gradually ensure that the scheme is extended to the entire workforce across the industry. The scheme is being launched in association with Edelweiss Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd and policies will be provided by National Insurance Company Limited. They were selected after evaluating the proposals received from a number of others in the field.

Both are well established players with a long history and extensive operations and networks, says the GJEPC website. The Council team has worked with them to create a flexible scheme with different options related to family size, nature of benefits and so on.

The GJEPC will pay 25% of the amount of the premiums and the remaining 75% will be paid by the participating member company. The scheme will be simultaneously launched in the state of Gujarat & Maharashtra as part of Phase I. Upon its successful completion, Phase II will be implemented in states like Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and other main gem and jewelry industry areas.

Nirav Bhansali, pioneer of the project, told the GJEPC, “Our goal is to provide all the workers with a good Mediclaim facility and we hope that all companies will support this initiative. It is the best way of showing our respect, admiration, and support for our artisans and workers.”